Stephen Thrasher, Comet Smasher

Strobist Boot Camp Two, Week Two

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 by Stephen

Week two: food. Specifically, David Hobby (author of Strobist) says, "photograph a gastronomic subject so well that it will cause me to go off the wagon." Here's how you take photos of food.

First, I started off the day the assignment was announced by taking a photo of my lunch on top of my dresser.

Jja-jang-myeon

Then I contacted my aspiring chef friend Elizabeth and asked if I could take some photos to liven up her blog. First up, scones.

Orange Raisin Scones 3

Then, southwestern salad.

Southwestern Salad with Brown Betty in the Oven

Finally, peach brown betty. This is the photo I submitted for the assignment.

Blueberry-Peach Brown Betty 3

Konstantin was going to take a photo for a chef in our cafe at work, but the chef worked two jobs and couldn't meet with us. But he did give Konstantin a recipe for a steak tip plantain sandwich. We literally spent an hour taking photos of this thing, and we were very happy with the outcome.

Strobist Assignment 2: Steak Tip Plantain Sandwich

So, what won? Three peppers in a cast-iron pan. It's a great photo, but it's not exactly gonna make someone "go off the wagon." In fact, none of the finalists really fit that bill, either. I feel like we somehow lost our chance by following the directions. Oh, well.

Right now, we're in the middle of assignment three. Expect a post in a few days.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home