Stephen Thrasher, Comet Smasher

Strobist Boot Camp Two, Week One

Sunday, August 09, 2009 by Stephen

Strobist is a blog about off-camera flash, a technique that gives photographers a lot of flexibility and control. It can be difficult to master because besides the technical side of things, learning the art of lighting just requires a lot of hands-on experience.

Enter Boot Camp Two, a series of assignments to help photographers improve their off-camera flash skills. Week one's assignment was to take a headshot. I've been teaming with my coworker and fellow photo club member Konstantin. This is Konstantin helping me get familiar with my rented camera before I shot the Holley wedding in March.

Konstantin

Konstantin and I went to a parking garage in Boston to photograph a headshot of his sister in front of Boston buildings. After we had some trouble with the high wall around the top level, he chose this photo as his entry for assignment one.

SBCASSIGN1

My subject was Rachel. Not too creative, I know, but she was in need of a more professional headshot for publications and such. We went to the MIT brain building, which has a multitude of potential headshot backgrounds. I settled on a simple one, the floor.


For the curious, David announced the finalists and winner for assignment one about a month ago. Right now we're in the middle of the third assignment. I'll give an update on assignment two soon.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Aug 10, 2009, 7:50:00 PM, Blogger John Mc said...

Wow that first shot of Konstantin is amazing... Both lighting and focal depth are great. How about breaking that one down for us?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home