Stephen Thrasher, Comet Smasher

Guitar Lessons with Sam Davis

Friday, April 11, 2008 by Stephen

I took lessons from guitar teacher Sam Davis for several months before deciding that I didn't practice enough to benefit from them. Sam gave me enough material that I could go through it for a year without reaching the point of diminishing returns.

His teaching style was interesting. It was very theoretical, with a sort of drill or two for each concept. He spent quite a bit of time writing down the concepts of the day onto loose-leaf paper while I tried them out. That was probably good for me, because I rarely tried them out any other time.

Sam's personal style was also ... interesting. His basement apartment has a kitchen covered with cow spots. Covered. As in floor, ceiling, counters, cabinets, etc. Even his tea kettle is cow-themed. If that wasn't enough, he has an animatronic cow with its own stall in his entryway that comes out mooing to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm" while half a dozen plush monkeys bang cymbals together and colorful lights flash all over the place. Sam's cow (Dalia?) has been featured on HGTV's show, "Look What I Did."

Sam is also a member of the Funky White Honkies. The Honkies are a 15-or-so piece dance band, complete with two percussionists and a horn section. Rachel and I saw them twice at Johnny D's in Davis Square. The second time, Sam played guitar and sang while hanging upside-down and getting his shoulder-length hair cut off.

If you have a minute, take a look at one or two of his flyers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home