Stephen Thrasher, Comet Smasher

Got My Print!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 by Stephen

The Third Pond print came from mpix.com yesterday morning. It was flat, not rolled up, just like I hoped. I was thinking of mounting it with no matting, but it's so dark that I think it needs a dark mat to bring it out better on our white wall. Without a mat, I would mount it on Gator Board and bring it a little out from the wall. I wish my monitor were color-calibrated.

I poked around yesterday for other places that sell big prints, and I hit the jackpot. El-Co Color has a panorama special, 30"x60" for $30 (!), though you have to buy at least one other order, say 20"x30" for $10 (!). They print on Fuji Metallic, too. El-Co Color will be my go-to from now on. I might print my daisy on Fuji Metallic at 30"x30" (cropped from 30"x40") for $25.90 (!).

This reminds me of an idea I had for wall decor: NASA images. NASA pictures are all in the public domain, so you can freely print them. How about one of these:
Full earth from Apollo 17
Buzz Aldrin on the moon
Hubble Ultra Deep Field

Maybe I'll get a 30"x40" print of Buzz Aldrin for my office for $20 (!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home