Stephen Thrasher, Comet Smasher

Dreams

Friday, April 18, 2008 by Stephen

I have weird, involved dreams.

Just the other day, I had a dream that involved getting on the MBTA Blue Line. Only the Blue Line had been upgraded to a clean, sleek bullet train that ran above ground through green valleys. Monumental stone staircases dotting the valley sides served as entrances. When I got on the train, the stainless steel interior had no windows. A robot offered to build hi-fi entertainment systems around passengers as they rode.

I took an imaginative fiction creative writing class my sophomore year of college. We had to record our dreams, and after a few tries, they became quite detailed. I continued to record them for a short while after the class ended. Here's a dream I recorded early morning June 29, 2000. I've included early morning sketches from my journal to enhance the story:

"In some sort of school. One of the assignments or tests is to run in a race. I'm out of shape because I haven't been running, and we are all starting the race late. The track is made of asphalt probably a street, and is very wide, and it is under about six inches of water. We start to run, and somebody shouts to go the other way. This happens several times, and we reverse each time. Then, as we're headed opposite our original direction, a tall, lanky, short-haired guy tears around the corner toward us with a number on his chest. We turn and go. I stop off at Munth [an undergrad campus house] and start washing things or something in the second floor bathroom.

"I'm in my grandparents' house, and it's much more rickety than their real house. You can see the coast in the distance out the window. As I look out, I see a column of smoke rapidly rising in the distance. I think of fires since I've been reading Report from Engine Co. 82 by Dennis Smith. But it shoots upward too fast, so I think it might be a bomb, though the column is too skinny.Then a second one goes off real near. I yell at everybody to go to the cellar, thinking there might be some hope but nobody moves. I run around for a while and then ask to see what the news report says. Someone turns on the TV for a second and then turns it off again.

"Then Jimmy pulls me over to look at a laptop. He found a webpage for a guy who makes prank bombs. The second blast, as I see when I look out the window, has frozen like this:"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home