Stephen Thrasher, Comet Smasher

Will Buy Stuff for WiFi

Friday, August 11, 2006 by Stephen

I came to Panera specifically to get a wifi connection, a first for me. In fact, I don't remember ever carrying a laptop before. My apartment managers had a miscommunication, and I ended up in a non-refurbished unit. Not that I couldn't live with it, but I had a slightly depressed, discouraging moment when I saw warped cabinets and appliances from the 1970's in my "upgraded" unit. We sorted it out, and the outcome is that I'll be moving into another unit on Tuesday. Until then, I can't set up internet or cable or receive mail.

While my current unit overlooks the parking lot, my new unit, which I have not seen, overlooks Cow Bayou. Exciting, I know, to be so close to a piece of Bayou City.

I've been looking into the motorcycle angle a bit more. It looks like I have two options: become a Texas resident or get my motorcycle license in Massachusetts. I'm thinking I'll stay a MA resident. So far it's not clear whether I can take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in Texas and apply it towards my MA license. The Honda Nighthawk, Honda Rebel, and Kawasaki Ninja 250R look about right.

While walking aimlessly through the Baybrook Mall this evening, I called my dad and talked about motorcycles a little bit. He gave me the danger speech a few years ago, but today he admitted that motorcycles are really fun. He had a bike while in Korea around 1980, and he gave it up after two near misses, one involving sliding under a moving bus. He also told me today that his dad was really into motorcycles when he was about my age. Since my granddad was a mechanic, he bought WWI surplus bikes and fixed them up.

Maybe I'll get tired of not being able to carry cargo or stay dry in the rain and break down and buy a car, but for now, I've decided not too. In any case, I'll be walking and biking to work for at least the next month. I say this as my rental SUV sits outside in the Panera parking lot.

2 Comments:

At Aug 13, 2006, 1:46:00 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

In the hospital, we call motorcycle drivers "living organ donors."

Just be careful.

 
At Aug 13, 2006, 1:51:00 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Have you checked out the GM Whim?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home